1. Barbara Roff says:

When I bat, I bat in the lefty position looking over my right shoulder. But my left hand is on top because that is the way I was taught. It pushes the ball out to the field.
    My left eye is very weak due to visual problems but the test for handedness is to put the tele3scope up to your eye. I first put it up to my left eye but shift to right hey because vision is so poor in that eye I can’t see well from it.

2. TBSM says:

Survey ok, but several questions I could have written used both hands, as others said I am older reader and left handed scissors were not available so we were forced to use right, I played badminton for the school and always got told off I never used the back hand I just swapped hands as I could bat equally as good with both hands. A lefty and proud of it.

3. Greg says:

When I was in school they had the crappy left handed scissors that had the green rubber on the handle. Those never worked, so was forced to use right handed scissors.

I wear my watch on my right wrist where everyone else i see wear’s their watch on their left wrist. Not sure if that is a lefty thing or just that i am weird. That never made it into the survey but I’m sure there is some analysis on that topic as well.

4. Rosemary Mills says:

I am watching the cricket and have realised that your 2 handed batting question is incorrect. The right handed player has his right hand on the bottom of the bat and is facing right therefore left handed players will have their left hand on the bottom and face left ( not right as stated in the question).
    I came out as 90% seriously left handed. However the question about folding your arms did not allow me to click into the R answer.
    I agree with some of the other comments about the scissors, only right handed were available.
    I love being left handed, and have noticed over the years there are more & more of us, especially in the sports and arts fields.
    Keep up the good work xx

5. vicki says:

my husband and i are left handed. I came out as Mixed handed which I agree with as I tend to favour my right with my feet. Our son is seriously left handed. he does every thing with his left. I even see him change feet to kick with his left foot. I agree that growing up in the 60’s and 70’s for us meant that we were forced to use scissors and knives with our right hand. Where as we tend to make sure that our son has everything he needs to be left handed as we both know what its like. Its great to live in a left handed household.

6. David Sims says:

PS. I hasten to add that it’s my left HAND that I write with when on the phone, not my left ear. (Just in case anyone thought I really was odd!)Heh heh

7. David Sims says:

An interesting little test.One or two comments on my 78% result. I do bat right handed at cricket but for tennis, basketball, and any throwing event I use my left hand. I do shoot archery right handed though as I am right-eye dominant as I think you will find most of the population. In all the archery coaching I have done across the years i have only once come across a left-eye dominant person. And finally, as Jeremy Field says above, I hold the telephone to my right ear, not because I hear better with that one, it’s because I need to write with my left. SO I think I am much more of a lefty than the test shows I am. But you could refine and refine such a test but it was good fun.

8. Shirley Nagel says:

I am delighted that you have this survey.(The clapping hand is the weaker hand though; the dominant hand takes the clap. I have been explaining to people that some people are more or less left handed. Just having this survey on the website confirms it! Also,even right handers find that they are often left footed or left eyed.
    Teaching and life coaching should determine how a person interacts with their environment before they try to teach them anything. Careers are built on a person’s uniqueness and exposure to opportunity. Self awareness and knowledge of a place to apply this awareness makes a fulfilling life. Happiness is finding yourself.
    As a former teacher, and a frustrated learner, I have spent my life trying to unravel the the myth of sinistralty. I embrace my uniqueness and unusual talents; I am no longer trying to be an overcomer of righthanded prejudice; I am a leader in my own world and reality.
    You see, thinking is a unique process. How lefties solve problems, whether on a test or in everyday life, is different and often a creative experience, not experienced by the linear thinker. My theory is that the greater the ambidexderity, the more confusing it is for the learner, since their ability to problem solve is in conflict, being of equal dominance. As the learner matures, he figures out what brain function should take over inorder to complete that particular task and avoid uncertainty and procrastination(no second guessing)or failure.
    Ofcourse, the longer it takes this process to be learned the less formal learning occurs and the more damage to the personality sets in; thus a sense of inferiority and a cycle of failure and defeat begins.
    More testing in education should determine brain function as well as handedness before a student is formally taught and tested.
    How many very left handed people have input in creating testing instruments? Prejudice is inherent in education. How I have suffered with the limitations of the linear mind! My mind is a cave of color, like a Kaleidescope going in and out, and out and in, with an array of colors along the way. It is process; not product that makes us unique. We all get THERE; just differently!

9. Robert Cozens says:

I only do it right handed if I have to like using a mouse as thats how I was shown and it feels right to me, If I played cricket which I don’t it would be right handed as my brother always leaned over me to shpow me how to use a bart, not that I was a bit interested in that silly game. I’d have prefered to have been sailing a boat any time. Cheers

10. Tami Harvey says:

I think it’s important to take into consideration the age of persons completing this test. I cut scissors right handed because left handed scissors did NOT exist when I learned. Also, my first and second grade teacher was not happy about teaching a left hander how to do ANYTHING. I was forced many times to use my right hand. My Dad finally had enough and set her straight on what hand I was to use (my Grandmother and Aunt were both left handed). Anyway just a thought.

• Laura says:

I agree, many of the things I do right handed because school didn’t give me the choice, sports being a major one. I’m under 45 so wasn’t forced to write right handed although I did learn ‘you write with your right’ which still has me confused. (63%left handed)

• Gail Quinn says:

I thoroughly agree Tami.
      I had exactly the same problem until left-handed scissors came into existence and then had trouble “teaching” my left hand to use them, but when I did I found I cut out much more accurately.
      I also had problems such as yours at school. I was actually rapped over the knuckles and made to do lines with my right hand until my Dad put a stop to it by taking the matter to the Education Board.

• Susan says:

Tami Harvey…ME TOO!

I really think we lefties are ambidextrous because there are many items that are strictly “right-handed”. So the test says I’m 93% left-handed…I prefer to think I’m ambidextrous!

• Sheila Nardelli says:

Hi there Tami!You too!?? My first grade teacher tried to do the same thing to me as well! I fell and broke my left arm just before school started and my mom had already told her NOT to try to make me write right handed! Well needless to say she did anyway so mom had another little talk with her!! I DID NOT have to write right handed after that!! GO MOM!! LOL!!Happy lefty day to you!!

• Sarah says:

I have always used scissors with my left hand just because it was impossible to use them with the right hand. It was uncomfortable, even a little painful, but it was the only way. I have never been able to cut a straight line.

• Michelle says:

Left-handed scissors didn’t exist when I was a kid either, but I ended up using right-handed scissors only pulling with my thumb instead of pushing in. It’s totally awkward and hurts but I just could not manage to use scissors with my right hand.

• Sharron Matthews says:

I use scissors and knives RH for the same reason as many others. We did not have the option growing up to do things any other way. We grew up in a RH world with RH implements. I too was taught to play Tennis by a RH coach and played that way despite being told many years later I should be LH as I get my L arm in the way all the time. By the time I was told this I couldn’t serve LH so stayed with the Right. However I have trained myself to use a computer mouse L and RH.

• laluna412 says:

I wonder how old you are? I had the same experience in school.

• Carina says:

Same here,I’ve found out about LH scissors,pens,etc.in my early twenties,so a lot of things are being done by RH.