Left-handed test results

How left-handed are you?If you haven’t completed the left-handed test yet, you can use this link to go to the survey form (it contains 12 Left/Right questions and will only take you a minute to complete).

This page gives our analysis of the surveys completed so far. By 27 May 2015 34,271 people had completed the survey and they declared their handedness as:

Do you consider yourself to be left or right handed?
Left 25,317 74%
Right 3,127 9%
Both 5,398 16%
Not answered 433 1%
Total 34,271 100%

Of the people that consider themselves to be left-handed this is the percentage that answered each question “Left”:

Question % Left
Writing hand
(we assume that the other 3% of people who consider themselves left-handed but said they write right-handed were forced to change their writing hand when they were young and have not changed it back)
97%
Cutting with scissors
(a lot of people mentioned that they use scissors right-handed because that was all that used to be available and they have never changed)
70%
Holding a bat (one handed) 78%
Eating with a spoon 94%
Holding a toothbrush  92%
Brushing hair  89%
Eye (using a telescope)  74%
Ear (using a telephone)
(some people mentioned that they hold the phone to their right ear to leave their left hand free for taking notes.  LHC’s Keith just gets in a tangle, holding the phone to his left ear with his right hand so he can still write with his left!)
 79%
Foot (kicking a ball)  64%
Folding arms, which is on top  68%
Clapping, which hand is on top  81%
Clasping hands behind back, which hand is doing the holding  77%
Throwing a ball  77%
Turning the pages of a book  74%
Using a bat or club two-handed (hand on bottom)
(this question cause a lot of confusion with people thinking about “bottom” differently if they were holding the bat or club down, e.g. cricket or golf, or up for e.g. baseball.  What we meant was the hand on the bottom being the one nearest the hitting end of the bat. If this is your left, you will be facing to your right looking over your right shoulder to see the ball coming)
 65%

The percentage of people who consider themselves left-handed who were graded at each of our levels were:

Grading % of total
Seriously Left-Handed (>90% score) 46%
Mainly left-handed (60-90% score)  44%
Left but mixed-handed (40-60% score)  7%
Probably a Right-Hander! (0-40%)  3%

The overall average score for people who consider themselves left-handed was 83%

And the number of people who scored 100% was 3,710 (15% of all the left-handers)

Of the 5,398 people who consider themselves “Both handed”, 60% use their left hand to write, 30% to cut with scissors and 67% used a phone on their left ear. Their overall weighted score was 55%.

Please add your own comments or interpretations as comments at the bottom of this page.

If you haven’t completed the left-handed test yourself yet, you can use this link to go to the survey form

167 comments on “Left-handed test results
  1. Johan Gorremans says:

I found it bizarre that when crossing the arms the right hand was not on top. When I look at right handed people doing that I can see they do it otherwise.
    When I learnt to write it was forbidden to write left handed. That is the main reason why my score was only 76% but I am satisfied with that because I know I am mainly left handed.
    Lots of success to others!

2. Evelyn Whitney says:

I use scissors in my right hand because when I was at school in the 1960’s there were no pairs of left handed scissors!
    I also hold the telephone in my right hand so that I have my left hand free to take notes and when I turn a page in a book it is always the right hand page that you turn so I do it with my right hand otherwise it would be awkward!

3. Rohit Dhobale says:

Guys … Feeling blessed and awesome !!! I am 🙂 100 % 🙂 left handed !!!

4. Yvonne says:

Interesting test, when I am on the phone I have the phone to my right ear because if I have to keep my left hand free to write anything down. When I eat, I have the fork in my left and knife in the right, when it comes down to pudding, I have to swap and have the spoon in my left and the fork in my right hand. As lefties we do extremely well living in this very dominated right handed world.

5. wendy says:

The only thing i do with my right is turn pages in a book, i hold the book in my left.

6. Barbara Bolt says:

I am interested to note that most activities that require both hands I follow custom – eg knife and fork. Spoon or fork alone (or chopsticks) I use my left hand, as I do for holding “finger food”. I would be in real trouble in the Middle East that require one hand for food handling and the other for dealing with the results of eating.

7. Brenda Ricketts says:

I completed the survey today and it confirmed I’m seriously left handed. I use the phone as part of my job and use my left hand, swapping to take notes. It was great to see the ticks the same way as I do them. Made to “correct” them while at school(many yrs ago) to the right hand way according to the right hand world. Used to have left hand cheque book which confused the right handed complaining it was difficult to use.

8. Delene Havens says:

The question regarding scissor use rates lowest likely due to only right-handed scissors being available when we were learning to use them. As an adult, I have both left- and right-handed scissors for dressmaking. When one hand becomes fatigued, I switch.

9. John says:

This is one of interesting tests I have ever done,I scored 100% making me a serious lefty

10. Martha Jarrard says:

I am seriously left-handed. The only reason I bat right handed is that no one could teach me how to bat left-handed. I’ve always said I was left sided because I do everything on the left. I have always been proud to be a lefty.