Left-handed test results

How left-handed are you?If you haven’t completed the left-handed test yet, you can use this link to go to the survey form (it contains 12 Left/Right questions and will only take you a minute to complete).

This page gives our analysis of the surveys completed so far. By 27 May 2015 34,271 people had completed the survey and they declared their handedness as:

Do you consider yourself to be left or right handed?
Left 25,317 74%
Right 3,127 9%
Both 5,398 16%
Not answered 433 1%
Total 34,271 100%

Of the people that consider themselves to be left-handed this is the percentage that answered each question “Left”:

Question % Left
Writing hand
(we assume that the other 3% of people who consider themselves left-handed but said they write right-handed were forced to change their writing hand when they were young and have not changed it back)
97%
Cutting with scissors
(a lot of people mentioned that they use scissors right-handed because that was all that used to be available and they have never changed)
70%
Holding a bat (one handed) 78%
Eating with a spoon 94%
Holding a toothbrush  92%
Brushing hair  89%
Eye (using a telescope)  74%
Ear (using a telephone)
(some people mentioned that they hold the phone to their right ear to leave their left hand free for taking notes.  LHC’s Keith just gets in a tangle, holding the phone to his left ear with his right hand so he can still write with his left!)
 79%
Foot (kicking a ball)  64%
Folding arms, which is on top  68%
Clapping, which hand is on top  81%
Clasping hands behind back, which hand is doing the holding  77%
Throwing a ball  77%
Turning the pages of a book  74%
Using a bat or club two-handed (hand on bottom)
(this question cause a lot of confusion with people thinking about “bottom” differently if they were holding the bat or club down, e.g. cricket or golf, or up for e.g. baseball.  What we meant was the hand on the bottom being the one nearest the hitting end of the bat. If this is your left, you will be facing to your right looking over your right shoulder to see the ball coming)
 65%

The percentage of people who consider themselves left-handed who were graded at each of our levels were:

Grading % of total
Seriously Left-Handed (>90% score) 46%
Mainly left-handed (60-90% score)  44%
Left but mixed-handed (40-60% score)  7%
Probably a Right-Hander! (0-40%)  3%

The overall average score for people who consider themselves left-handed was 83%

And the number of people who scored 100% was 3,710 (15% of all the left-handers)

Of the 5,398 people who consider themselves “Both handed”, 60% use their left hand to write, 30% to cut with scissors and 67% used a phone on their left ear. Their overall weighted score was 55%.

Please add your own comments or interpretations as comments at the bottom of this page.

If you haven’t completed the left-handed test yourself yet, you can use this link to go to the survey form

163 comments on “Left-handed test results
  1. Lori Haldorson says:

I am a lefty and scored 91 % on the test. My parents are both right handed but my Dad’s mom could use both equally well. I had a right handed husband and my 4 kids are all right handed. Kind of sad I didn’t get at least one left handed child.

2. Tony Ogilvie says:

Interesting quiz but like many things we are forced to use our right hands. I use a calculator with my left hand but use a computer number pad with my right because it is on the right side. On the phone I use my right ear with my right hand so that my left hand is free to write notes. Another question is which hand controls the mouse I use my Left. Confuses the right hand people.

3. Keith Taylor says:

I noticed the other day that I crack my eggs into a jug which I hold with my right hand while whisking with the left. But after pouring the egg into the pan I hold the jug under the tap and whisk it clean with my right hand. Odd!

4. Greg Dean says:

Thank you for the interesting stats. I have a few points. I scored 96 with the one out being arms folded. Since it’s not a functional action it’s interesting but not convincing to me since I’m very left handed. I also think that Eyes, Ears and Feet really fall into separate categories since they seem to be independent of manual dexterity. In paticular use of the left ear for phones seems very common (to me at least). PS I’m a cricket tragic – many people bat reverse to their dominant hand – this seems to be random.

5. TG says:

Nice test. But the younger the person the more likely the more left handed they will be, before they have to learn to change over to using the right hand more and more in life due to all things in this country being designed and built for the right handed user.

When people say “turn right” to me, I do an automatic left turn and vice versa. My left hand to others is a right hand to me. Is it backward? No. Just different.
    Help left handed children by using a mirror to convert right to left. Works for most.

6. Rakshith S aradhya says:

My famiy is known by generations for being left handed. Left handedness skips generations in my family where my grand mother, her brothers,my cousins , and myself Rakshith are left handed by birth .

We have gone through a lot of humiliation and pressure of changing our hand to right for writing and eating food.

7. Heidi parrott Parrott says:

I was raised by 2 right handed parents, have 3 older right handed siblings and one younger right handed sibling. I am dominently left handed for anything I learned on my own. However I was not allowed to be left handed for most anything that was taught. I even had to eat with my right hand. So I consider myself left handed. But know I am both.

8. Susan Garlock says:

I was treated kindly in school for being left handed. My 4th grade teacher saw fat I struggled with slanting letters the wrong way so after school she showed me how to turn my paper so I could write correctly. My mother and father knew I love to sew so they bought me left-handed scissors which were hard to find. My dad was left-handed so he bought me a lefty baseball mitt. He was left-handed too and we loved to play catch. Through this life some people thought I was hard of hearing or slow because when I answer certain questions, I have to think right-handed then translate it to my left-handed world. In the end it’s actually been useful and to my advantage to analyze and see things in both the left and right-handed world!

9. Sue Cook says:

I have a real problem working out how to hold a bat 2 handed. Put it down to the fact that my schools had zero equipment for left handers. Probably why I can’t hit a golf ball, it just feels awkward, but I think that is normal for lefties in a right hand world. I love it and wouldn’t be any other way. 👍🏼