One great idea for Left Handers Day is to help your right handed friends, family and colleagues realise how “dextrous” (right-handed term, hmm…..) we have to be because we are constantly adapting a right-handed world.
One way to make this point is to make the right handers in your life do everything left-handed for the day!
Create your own Lefty Zone
Firstly, download the free posters we have available on this site
All the posters are A4 size (210 x 297mm, 8in x 12in)- and you can download all of them or just the ones you want. Make sure you get the “Lefty Zone” one and declare an area (or all!) of your home or workplace a designated area where everyone must do all tasks left-handed for the day.
Get your right handed friends, family and colleagues to do all daily tasks using their normal equipment, but with their left hand e.g.:
- Stir food in pans
- Fill & pour kettle
- Pour from milk/measuring jugs
- Open tins
- Peel vegetables/fruit
- Open wine bottles
- Use microwave/hob controls (often positioned on right of the equipment)
- Wash up (draining board is often wrong side if you are holding the brush in other hand, so you have to pass wet dishes across your body to drain.
- Cutting bread (wonky slices using right handed knife in left hand)
- Eating & drinking – reverse cutlery and have drink in left hand
- Cutting – using right-handed scissors in left hand is an excellent example of totally right-biased design that doesn’t work well.
- Ironing with board & iron reversed – adults & older children only !
- Drawing a measured line with a ruler
- Having the computer mouse on the left of the keyboard and try drawing a shape on screen, or clicking and dragging – we usually have to do this with our right hand as the mouse is shared, and always set up for right-handed users
- Use the computer keypad to enter lots of numbers – using wrong hand
- Draw or write in ring binder / spiral bound notepad with left hand – binding hurts wrist
- Using fountain/ink pen or just felts and colour in with left hand – smudged work and ink on side of hand as it follows the work
- If you have left handed guitar, give lessons to the right-handers.
- Practice recorder or other instruments with hands reversed (top and bottom)
We hope this provides some inspiration and please have a good look around this website for more information and ideas. View the free posters we have available on this site.
I love being left handed xx what a great day to celebrate xx!!!😘😘
I’m looking to see if someone has developed a cursive font software that tilts to the left? I’m wanting to make cursive copywork handwriting sheets for my lefthanded son to practice cursive. Our problem has been ALL the handwriting teaching aids out there still use a right-handed tilt of the font, as if just turning the page and moving the practice letters to the opposite side of the page makes it all better. It’s still a right-handed world forcing yet another left-handed person to make another adjustment. I want a font that is made for the left handed person to learn left handed cursive and/or calligraphy.
I m the only lefty in my family and my home . I m very glad to be . I m waiting eagerly to see my family members and friends to do all things with their left hand .
Hello. I’m the only left handed person in my family and sometimes they laugh that I’m left handed but they don’t know how awesome being a left handed person is. Today I asked some people in my family to do things left handed and they struggled. It was really fun though…
You know this would be pretty hilarious. Lefty struggles are real no matter how many people say they aren’t. I am the youngest in my family and *sigh* the only lefty. But I’ve got the lefty pride.
I am too. Studies show that left handed people are more emotional than right handed people. This means I tend to cry over everything and get really mad over everything. I would tell my family about this but they wouldn’t believe me….oh well. I guess that’s lefty land for me!
I’m the only lefty in my family and I share the middle child title I have 4 older sibling and 3 younger siblings
I am the only left hander in my family…..this is going to be fun! Especially as I’m the youngest!
I am also the only lefty in my family,and the exact middle child. Three older siblings, three younger siblings. I hope that I can convince my family to do this, though!!! 😉 😉 😉
this is so great! I got a left handers calender from Barnes and Nobles for christmas and it pointed me to this site.
What if you’re naturally ambidextrous? I have to say, making everyone doing everything lefty was funny…. Especially when I could do it both hands so its easy for me…. He he 🙂
I’m the only left hander in my family and It’s going to be funny when my family is going to use their LEFT hand all day! Especially when they eat. Heehee..
#ProudlyLeftHanded I have been laughing the whole day made my classmates do everything using their left hands it was really fun