facebook_pixel

Left-handed test results

How left-handed are you?If you haven’t completed the left-handed test yet, you can use this link to go to the survey form (it contains 12 Left/Right questions and will only take you a minute to complete).

This page gives our analysis of the surveys completed so far. By 27 May 2015 34,271 people had completed the survey and they declared their handedness as:

Do you consider yourself to be left or right handed?
Left 25,317 74%
Right 3,127 9%
Both 5,398 16%
Not answered 433 1%
Total 34,271 100%

Of the people that consider themselves to be left-handed this is the percentage that answered each question “Left”:

Question % Left
Writing hand
(we assume that the other 3% of people who consider themselves left-handed but said they write right-handed were forced to change their writing hand when they were young and have not changed it back)
97%
Cutting with scissors
(a lot of people mentioned that they use scissors right-handed because that was all that used to be available and they have never changed)
70%
Holding a bat (one handed) 78%
Eating with a spoon 94%
Holding a toothbrush  92%
Brushing hair  89%
Eye (using a telescope)  74%
Ear (using a telephone)
(some people mentioned that they hold the phone to their right ear to leave their left hand free for taking notes.  LHC’s Keith just gets in a tangle, holding the phone to his left ear with his right hand so he can still write with his left!)
 79%
Foot (kicking a ball)  64%
Folding arms, which is on top  68%
Clapping, which hand is on top  81%
Clasping hands behind back, which hand is doing the holding  77%
Throwing a ball  77%
Turning the pages of a book  74%
Using a bat or club two-handed (hand on bottom)
(this question cause a lot of confusion with people thinking about “bottom” differently if they were holding the bat or club down, e.g. cricket or golf, or up for e.g. baseball.  What we meant was the hand on the bottom being the one nearest the hitting end of the bat. If this is your left, you will be facing to your right looking over your right shoulder to see the ball coming)
 65%

The percentage of people who consider themselves left-handed who were graded at each of our levels were:

Grading % of total
Seriously Left-Handed (>90% score) 46%
Mainly left-handed (60-90% score)  44%
Left but mixed-handed (40-60% score)  7%
Probably a Right-Hander! (0-40%)  3%

The overall average score for people who consider themselves left-handed was 83%

And the number of people who scored 100% was 3,710 (15% of all the left-handers)

Of the 5,398 people who consider themselves “Both handed”, 60% use their left hand to write, 30% to cut with scissors and 67% used a phone on their left ear. Their overall weighted score was 55%.

Please add your own comments or interpretations as comments at the bottom of this page.

If you haven’t completed the left-handed test yourself yet, you can use this link to go to the survey form

152 comments on “Left-handed test results
  1. Holly says:

I agree with Terence B on his points 1 and 2.

The batting questions should be replaced with something else. I think it matters which sport you are playing (and in what country). Also, I haven’t swung a bat at anything since I was a child. I don’t know what I would do with a bat. So the batting questions are geared towards sports playing people, which many of us might not be.

2. Carolyn Hodges says:

I bat right handed, shoot lefty. In my business school class for 10 key, I had an advantage over the righties. Did not have to put the pencil down and pick it up again for timed math tests. Being a pianist makes a difference also on ability to use either.

3. De says:

I was 95% left handed because I use my right eye to look through a telescope. I can “wink” with my left eye but not my right so I close my left eye to look through the scope. Not sure that affects my “handedness” as I do everything using my left hand.

4. Peggy S.Parnell says:

I didn’t need the test to know I’m dominantly left handed and have been since I was born.All my life I have been called all sorts of names and treated like I have no brains whatsoever because I am.Yet I have made it through this righthanded world that refuses to recognize there are left-handed people in it.When you try to buy left handed items it is impossible and then when you do find them they are way too high for your income,so you make do with their right handed things or else always frusterated over this- Peggy

5. Maeve says:

My friends say my tick marks are backwards! A future survey question?
    I wear my watch on my right arm – this could also have been a survey question.
    Like others I hold the telephone to my right ear as I need my left hand free to dial and write.
    I frequently have to hold the computer mouse in my right hand as I need my left hand free to input numbers on my keypad. I have a left handed keyboard and it’s great! I find it so awkward to use a right handed one.
    Just a few thoughts!

6. Patricia Meredith says:

I scored 95% left-handed, which I figured would be the case! My right-hand (right-arm) helps me type, carry large/heavy things, and fills out the right sleeve. I love being left-handed!!!!

7. Steph says:

Although I write left-handed, I have never used scissors with that hand. I eat, brush my teeth, and use a computer mouse equally well with either hand. However, I play tennis right-handed, though I have sometimes tried to switch hands to avoid a backhand. Bad idea. the strangest thing though is as an interpreter for the deaf I was right-handed, but sometimes incorporated left-handed signs that I might have picked up from my left-handed sign language instructor, without being aware of it. One day the deaf ed teacher pointed out that instead of signing the word “most,” I said “more s**t.” Embarrassing!

8. Robert Schur says:

I came up as 78% lefty but I atttribute that in part to the indignity of having to use right handed scissors though I can distinctly remember trying to cut with my left hand when I was a small boy butunsuccessfully. Nevertheless, I was forced to right handedness. In addition, when I was a small boy, my father stood me on the left side of home plate when I was up at bat playing baseball, reversed my hands and taught me to bat…hence a righty batter and golfer came from that early experience. Funny how such things stay with you.

9. Valerie Sey says:

I use right handed scissors, but in my left hand. I tried to use left handed scissors in my left hand but got so confused with the blades being the other way round that I had to admit defeat. I can cut perfectly with right handed scissors but I do have an awkward looking technique, I tend to curl my wrist inwards and move my arm left to right. I scored 100% left handed.

10. Warren says:

My score was 89% but the use of my right is because I have terrible vision in my left eye – so I would really prefer to use the left eye. Using the bat r club was because I was taught to use my right hand (similar to those forced to write with a right hand)

I am pleased to say my writing with my left hand was good enough for me to be a calligrapher as part of my work in graphics.

I also hold the phone in my right hand when needing to take notes and doing other things while talking.

My big bugbear is how the mouse pointer always points from the right to the left and in computer games the gun is always in the right hand