facebook_pixel

Left-handed test results

How left-handed are you?If you haven’t completed the left-handed test yet, you can use this link to go to the survey form (it contains 12 Left/Right questions and will only take you a minute to complete).

This page gives our analysis of the surveys completed so far. By 27 May 2015 34,271 people had completed the survey and they declared their handedness as:

Do you consider yourself to be left or right handed?
Left 25,317 74%
Right 3,127 9%
Both 5,398 16%
Not answered 433 1%
Total 34,271 100%

Of the people that consider themselves to be left-handed this is the percentage that answered each question “Left”:

Question % Left
Writing hand
(we assume that the other 3% of people who consider themselves left-handed but said they write right-handed were forced to change their writing hand when they were young and have not changed it back)
97%
Cutting with scissors
(a lot of people mentioned that they use scissors right-handed because that was all that used to be available and they have never changed)
70%
Holding a bat (one handed) 78%
Eating with a spoon 94%
Holding a toothbrush  92%
Brushing hair  89%
Eye (using a telescope)  74%
Ear (using a telephone)
(some people mentioned that they hold the phone to their right ear to leave their left hand free for taking notes.  LHC’s Keith just gets in a tangle, holding the phone to his left ear with his right hand so he can still write with his left!)
 79%
Foot (kicking a ball)  64%
Folding arms, which is on top  68%
Clapping, which hand is on top  81%
Clasping hands behind back, which hand is doing the holding  77%
Throwing a ball  77%
Turning the pages of a book  74%
Using a bat or club two-handed (hand on bottom)
(this question cause a lot of confusion with people thinking about “bottom” differently if they were holding the bat or club down, e.g. cricket or golf, or up for e.g. baseball.  What we meant was the hand on the bottom being the one nearest the hitting end of the bat. If this is your left, you will be facing to your right looking over your right shoulder to see the ball coming)
 65%

The percentage of people who consider themselves left-handed who were graded at each of our levels were:

Grading % of total
Seriously Left-Handed (>90% score) 46%
Mainly left-handed (60-90% score)  44%
Left but mixed-handed (40-60% score)  7%
Probably a Right-Hander! (0-40%)  3%

The overall average score for people who consider themselves left-handed was 83%

And the number of people who scored 100% was 3,710 (15% of all the left-handers)

Of the 5,398 people who consider themselves “Both handed”, 60% use their left hand to write, 30% to cut with scissors and 67% used a phone on their left ear. Their overall weighted score was 55%.

Please add your own comments or interpretations as comments at the bottom of this page.

If you haven’t completed the left-handed test yourself yet, you can use this link to go to the survey form

152 comments on “Left-handed test results
  1. dartmoorstick says:

I feel that there is a difference between genetic handedness and acquired hand use.For example turning a book page-next page is on the right (in western society)-natural to use r hand to turn page as easier especially when taking notes with pen in left hand.
    Also in certain professions(e.g.medicine) it is impossible to use left hand for certain functions because of human anatomy and therefore acquire use of r hand through training.Otherwise I am left handed.Lfooted,L eyed,L eared

2. Duncan Pohl says:

Well, I was one of the ones who got 100%. But that really wasn’t a surprise to me. I grew up wondering why I even had a right arm/hand. Wasn’t like it was ever used except to prop or hold things so I could do something with them with my left hand. lol

3. Denise says:

I was the 1st left-handed person in my immediate family. We were certain someone had to come before, but know one knew who it was. When I was 10, I was given a right-handed baseball glove. Since then, I have had a stronger right arm, from playing softball. When I play racquetball, bowl, or practice putting, I can use either hand. Tennis 99% leftie. Growing up, I got used to using my right-hand for a variety of things, but for some, I just never adapted properly. The most painful ones are: Pencil sharpeners, both hand-held and fixed to a wall; scissors; writing utensils. Of course, using tools that were for right-handers was a downfall. I was handy with hammers when the nail was accessible for lefties only.

The question on the phone, was tricky for me. I did select ‘R’, but that is from the placement of most landlines I have to use at work. My cellphone is 100% lefty use only; from tapping the number to holding it to my left ear.

My final score was 85% Left-Handed. I guess that isn’t too bad since I am middle-aged and have learned to adapt in some areas due to growing up with a right-handed baseball glove. 🙂

4. TraciB says:

While I tested “seriously left-handed”, I realized afterward that the phone question is a bit of a trick one for me. I answered that I hold it to my left ear, but when I actually picked up my cell phone afterward, I held it with my right hand to my right ear. I’m guessing that years of talking on the phone while taking notes has trained me that way without my being aware of it.

I also cross my arms with my right arm on top, and I mouse with my right hand (not a survey question, but an issue I’ve seen other lefties struggle with when confronted with using a right-handed mouse or trackpad). So perhaps I’m “mostly left-handed” rather than “seriously left-handed”.

5. Jeff says:

For me, it usually comes down to finesse vs strength. Things that require more finesse, accuracy or fine motor skills I do lefthanded, such as writing, racquet sports (love beating righties in racquetball), basketball, kicking or using a hammer. Things that required more strength more than finesse I tended to do right handed such as playing baseball, football (except for kicking – always left foot), bowling, turning a screwdriver, etc. While I usually eat right handed, I can use utensils equally well with both hands.

• Saige N. says:

I bat and throw with my left hand in softball. What’s really fun though is seeing the pitchers completely mess up when they see me, because they’ve hardly ever pitched to a leftie before and are surprised. I do almost everything with my left side (scored 95% on test), EXCEPT kicking a ball. Occasionally I kick it with my left foot, but usually I kick it with my right foot. (Otherwise I would have scored 100% on the test!!)

6. Carolyn Hodges says:

Never considered how lucky to have the bathroom outlit on the left side of the sink. Just wish I had a second one to charge batteries.

7. Judy Taylor says:

I’ve always known that I’m not completely left handed, mainly due to problems using things as a small child and finding that they worked better in my right hand. I did not realise how much I used my right hand until recently when I injured it and had to use my left. But this is a right handed world we live in so many things are still the wrong way round for us lefties.

8. Jilly Harding says:

Test was fun & got me thinking! I also hold phone to left ear in right hand if I need to write stuff down.
    What annoys me as a lefty is technology! My iPad won’t give me the option to swipe left when opening, I can only swipe right! Have had this for nearly 3yrs, still trying to swipe left!
    Also using a mouse is difficult. But if there was such a thing we would have to pay more as a result
    The problem is, as always! Why should we lefties always have to pay extra to get things to work for us!

• Christina says:

Check your mouse’s software for options. There are many mice that have the option for you to change it to a lefty setting. This swaps the left and right click functions so you can use it with your left hand the same way you would with your right. I learned using my right hand so I’m not capable of using my left with a mouse,when you are the only lefty on the house and share a computer you adapt.

9. Adele says:

I can write with both hands because I was taught to write right handed and switched back several years later. I feel better writing with my left hand and consider myself completely left handed. I scored 100% at the test.

10. jade says:

i got totally right handed but i am left handed when it comes to writing and the rest was actually corrected when i was a kid and i have gotten used to it becos of that. my dad even tried to get me to write on my right hand but i nvr got used to it.